Who can apply?

Most people can apply to join the Dacorum Borough Council Housing Register and apply for properties using Moving with Dacorum. Everyone is eligible to receive Housing Advice.

In order to join the Dacorum Borough Council Housing Register applicants must:

  • Be over the age of 18;
  • Be habitually resident in the ‘common travel area’ (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man);
  • Not be subject to immigration control or be an Applicant from abroad unless the Applicant is a ‘qualifying person’ as described by law.

Applicants with a need for supported housing

  • Applicants aged 16 or 17 years old can be considered for younger persons’ supported housing. Applications will be prioritised based on their level of need and risk.
  • Applicants aged 60 and above have the option to apply for sheltered housing with both low and high level support available depending on their needs. Those applicants aged 50 and above who can demonstrate a need for supported housing can also be considered.
  • We will also offer comprehensive housing advice for any customer with a need for supported housing.
  • You can find more information in our Housing Allocations Policy.

Who cannot use the ‘Moving with Dacorum’ service?

  • You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.
  • There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:
    • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
    • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
    • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant