Medical Assessments

If you feel your medical condition may be affected by the housing situation in which you live, you will need to complete a medical form and return this to the Housing Needs team. 

How do I get a copy of the medical assessment?

How long will it take for my medical assessment to be considered?

  • Once we receive your medical form, our team will assess your information and supporting evidence within 28 working days.
  • In some cases, we may need more information and evidence from you to make a decision. 

What evidence will I need to supply with my medical form?

  • To make sure that we have enough information to assess your situation, you should provide as much as possible from the following; 
    • GP records
    • Summary Care Record
    • Occupational Therapist Report
    • Care Plan, Prescription
    • Consultant’s Letters
    • Discharge Summary
    • Referral Letters
    • Appointment Letters
    • Diagnoses
    • Reports and Results
    • Social Worker’s details.
  • If you require more information about how to access your health records, please go to: How to access your health records - NHS (

I have a medical condition, but the Council has not awarded me any points, why is this?

  • When the Council assesses the information that you provide, we base our decision on the impact the property and/or living situation is having upon your condition.
  • If your living situation has no impact on your medical or health conditions, then our team are unable to award you any points.
  • For example: An applicant wants to move. They live in a one-bedroom bungalow, but have mobility difficulties with stairs. The property is level access, with no steps into the property. The team cannot award medical points because the applicant has suitable accommodation for their needs, despite having mobility difficulties.

I believe that my household requires an extra bedroom due to a medical need, can the Council help?

  • We accept that in certain cases, due to a medical need someone may require an additional bedroom.
  • In such cases we will ask that you provide an Occupational Therapist’s report outlining the reasons and recommendations.
  • Once we have received this we will be able to make an informed decision.
  • In cases where there is a need for an additional bedroom for a carer, we will require supporting documentation that includes a support package and care plan detailing this need.

How do I obtain an Occupational Therapist’s Assessment?

Please call 0300 123 4042 or go to the Hertfordshire County Council website and fill in the self-referral form (Adult care – how to get care and support from us | Hertfordshire County Council).